Residency Program at Vance Thompson Vision
Vance Thompson Vision OD Residency in Refractive and Ocular Surgery Care
This residency’s mission is to provide the post-doctoral optometrist advanced training and competency in ocular disease as well as refractive and ocular surgery peri-operative care with an emphasis on direct patient care, research, and educational opportunities.
- Program Site: Vance Thompson Vision, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Program Coordinator Doug Wallin, OD
- Residency Director: Janice Jurkus, OD, MBA
- Number of Positions: 1
- Program Dates: 12 Months, 40-50 weekly hours including after hours call.
- ORMatch#: 37627
Vance Thompson Vision founded by Dr. Vance Thompson, MD, in 1991 is a private anterior segment surgical and referral center located in Sioux Falls, SD with additional locations in Fargo, ND, Bozeman, MT, Omaha, NE, Alexandria, MN and Billings, MT. We have grown significantly in the last 25 years and consist of five fellowship trained ophthalmologists who specialize in cornea, cataract, glaucoma and oculoplastics and five residency trained optometrists who specialize in the pre and post-op care of cornea, cataract, glaucoma, oculoplastics, dry eye, and specialty contact lens fitting. Vance Thompson Vision has always been actively involved in clinical and surgical anterior segment research having participated in over 90 FDA monitored clinical trials. Vance Thompson Vision also places great emphasis on our team culture and patient experience with our motto being “The Best on Earth”. Vance Thompson Vision was recognized by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of the top one hundred company cultures in the US in 2017.
The resident’s clinical rotation will be solely at the Sioux Falls, SD location. It will consist of 4.5 days rotating through each of our three clinic galleys; each with its own subspecialty, cornea, glaucoma and oculoplastics. The remaining 0.5 day will be spent on research and educational projects. One half day per quarter will be spent observing surgery with each or our surgeons and ophthalmology fellow. The resident will be available for urgent care patients during normal clinic hours, and will be on after hours call one week per month during the rotation.
What the resident can expect from this rotation:
- Advanced clinical training in the pre and post-op care of anterior segment surgery including; advanced cataract and refractive cataract surgery, including extensive management of toric, multifocal, and extended depth of focus IOLs refractive surgery to correct ametropia, including, PRK, LASIK, SMILE, incisional and phakic IOL surgery
- Advanced corneal disease diagnosis and treatment including, corneal transplantation, DMEK, Intacs, PTK, amniotic membrane, and specialty contact lens fitting
- Advanced glaucoma treatment, diagnosis, and surgery including; minimally invasive glaucoma surgeries (MIGS), SLT, trabeculectomies, and shunts as well as cytophotocoagulation
- Advanced training in oculoplastics and aesthetics; including, blepharoplasties, dermal laser treatments, injections, and facial aesthetics treatments
- Advanced clinical evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of dry eye including; Lipiflow, BBL and autologous serum.
- This resident rotation will be a very challenging and rewarding year clinically, but will also emphasize an enhanced patient experience and a team culture that will allow the resident to become a valued member of our work family.
- The Resident will attend 2 Educational Conferences - including one national conference
- Complete one publishable paper or poster to be presented
- Present on Optometric Educational Lecture at our annual VTV Symposium
- Coordinate and present 3 Journal Club meetings at VTV
Compensation package includes salary and benefits.
There is health insurance coverage, professional liability insurance, 15 working days of paid vacation, travel/education allowance of $2,000, and a cell phone allowance of $90 per month. Meetings are “10 working days.” Interviews are “3 working days.”
Criteria for Completion
Successful completion of all clinical rotations, complete one research project for presentation and write one publishable paper or poster to be presented. Students will also coordinate three Journal Club educational meets and complete a final residency review of the program.
Completion of Acknowledgment
A certificate is presented on completion of the program from Vance Thompson Vision.
For more information
Doug Wallin, OD - Director
3101 West 57th St.
Sioux Falls, SD 57108